Tuesday, September 22, 2009

A little update on Krew...

We went to the doc yesterday for a check up on Krew's development and I was worried about how it would go. Sometimes Krew is really strong, almost normal for his age, and other times he is just like a newborn. It seems like everytime we see the doctor he just flops around, but today he showed off pretty good. I was so glad to hear the doctor tell me that he thinks he has gotten so much stronger. Yay! Still not up to par, but tons better than he was at his two month. We went through a long check list of things that most 3 month old babies should do, and he could about 75% of them. The only things he couldn't do had to do with his neck and shoulders. He is getting there though :)

The doctor still wants us to see the neurologist, but he is thinking he might just tell us we don't need to do any testing and that he is fine. I am okay with this, because I would rather be safe than sorry. SO in the mean time, we keep working with him everyday to make him stronger.

The doctor mentioned another thing while we were there...he is concerned for Krew with the upcoming flu/RSV season. He says that with his low muscle tone, if he gets RSV or flu then he will have a harder time coughing and keeping infection from staying out of his lungs than other kids. So, he is trying to appeal to my insurance for Krew to get an immunization for RSV this year (he can get one dose of the flu vaccine but not until he is 6 months old-Dec). I guess insurance companies have very strict requirements that need to be met before they will authorize the shots (they cost $1000 each and he needs three of them), and Krew doesn't meet some of them, so he told us he is going to try as hard as he can to get him approved. He said that the shot will keep him out of ICU if he gets RSV, but not the hospital. WHAT?! I really hope he gets it to work, I left there feeling like Krew should just live in a bubble until May. I am a germ-a-phobe as it is. This is going to be an interesting winter!!!

Other than the warning for what we might be in for this flu season, it was a great appointment and I am SO HAPPY that Krew is improving so much!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear he is doing so much better. They made me give Sky the RSV shots last year because of his heart and they are SO SO SO expensive. I am double covered with insurance and they still cost me 50 bucks a pop, and I believe he had more than 3, I think it was a 5 shot series. Anyways... as always... better safe than sorry!

thescotts said...

OH, I am so glad to hear he is doing so great! YAY!! Keep us posted and let me know if I can do anything for you all.
RSV SUCKS!!!! We will stay away from you guys and hopefully others will too so he doesn't get sick. Phin was HORRIBLE last winter and he wasn't as teeny tiny as Krew. WE LOVE YOU GUYS!!!

Annie Nielson said...

Whew, I'm glad Krew is doing better. That's always a good sign to be progressing :)

I've totally not even thought about RSV season yet, yuck. I hate winter as it is...now I'm definitely dreading it, ugh. I didn't even know they had an immunization for RSV--shows how much I know, haha.

Anyway, keep up posted on how he is doing :)

Ang said...

Aren't you so glad that there are people who know how to take care of our kids when we can't? I hope he just keeps getting better and better! Take care.