Krew started out throwing up on Thursday. I could not get him to keep anything down. I called the doc that night and he told me to stop trying for 3-4 hours (that this might let his stomach settle long enough) then to give him tiny amounts at a time. So we had a long night and then by Friday morning he still didn't want much at all. So we went in for our 4th doctor's visit in two weeks. After looking him over, the doctor didn't think he looked too bad, but had us get him some labs done just in case. While we waited, I headed home and tried my hardest to get the little guy to drink anything. I knew he was dehydrated, but he was acting happy and playing so I didn't think the labs would be a big deal. The doctor's office called back around 6:00 that night and told me I needed to get him to the hospital. It was not our normal doctor that called and he was pretty vague so the only thing that stood out to me was "get him to the hospital and his labs look bad". So I was freaking out, to say the least.
Once we were in our room, the on call doctor came over to check Krew out. After looking at him, he was a little confused by the lab results because he just didn't act as sick as his labs said he was. He decided he wanted to double check the numbers, so while they were putting in his IV, they got some blood too. The things that where alarming were his co2 and his blood sugar (this was really low). After about 30 minutes the lab results were back and they had not changed from the first set. I immediately think the worst and assume he must have something awful, but the doctor reassured me that his body was probably just in starvation mode from not really getting back to normal from last weeks stay and now the vomiting, and that we were probably just unlucky.
The next day, Krew still wouldn't eat much but was finally drinking about half of his normal. That afternoon we had another set of labs drawn. I had a feeling they were going to send us home, but was scared because I didn't want to end up back there again in a few days. The labs came back perfect this time, so they set us up an appointment on Monday with our real doctor then discharged us and sent us on our way.
Once we were home, he started to eat and drink a little better. He was fully hydrated now, so it was nice to not be so obsessed with whether he had peed or not ;) We all slept a lot better that night without hourly vitals and beeping IV machines. Sunday he finally started to want to eat and drink, but still not completely normal. By Monday, he was even better. The doctor's check up went well and the doctor doesn't seem to be too concerned with his weird labs. He did say that if he ends up dehydrated again soon, we will need to start digging a little deeper to see if there is a more serious cause. For now, he just thinks he had a stomach bug that was completely unrelated to last weeks sickness and we are just unlucky. So I am REALLY ready for a break. No more hospitals or doctors for a long long time. I am looking into getting him a bubble to live in this winter ;)
Have you ever seen anything cuter?! His little hospital gown was too sweet.
I think he was used to his hosital cage this time around, so he slept like a champ.
He thought he was the bomb-diggity when we went for a little walk in the wagon ;)
Headed home. He was sooooooo mean to the nurses. They could hardly even talk to him without him grunting or yelling at them. Poor kid has been through alot lately ;)

1 comment:
Are you kidding me? Poor little guy. I really hope that was the last hospital stay for him. Not fun.
Post a Comment